July 07, 2007

On the road to the beginning.


So I began my journey (having been waved off at Huddersfield railway station by Caroline) at 10pm last night and after catching 4 different trains, witnessing a stand up fight on the train to Preston and having caused chaos on the same train by semi blocking an exit as too many drunks were lounged within the cycle space, I duly arrived in Thurso this afternoon to be greeted with torrential rain and partial crosswinds. By the way if you are thinking of doing this and travelling by sleeper train, book a berth. From Thurso I set off amid the downpour for John O' Groats and despite the extreme dampness I saw my first scots rabbit and curlew. I also saw some beautiful breakers crashing on deserted beaches and a sign for a place called Ham. I passed the Castle of Mey (the Queen Mothers ex castle) but didn't go in as they were filming antiques roadshow and I didnt want them valuing my bike just yet. Arrived at the youth hostel at 4.30 and set about Getting dry only to find the hostel didnt open till 5. Have since cobbled tea with a little help from other guests and shall shortly sort my maps and kit for the start of the jogle proper tomorrow, till then!

No comments: