July 10, 2007

A day of positives.




The day began with a dull cloudy sky and the long open road of the great glen before me. Having obtained supplies sufficient to see me through the morning at least I set off alongside Loch Ness. The road although a tad hectic at times and in places quite rough was a pleasant rollercoaster ride of gently undulating hill and dale. As such I made relatively good progress through Invermoriston to Fort Augustus where I was distracted by not only the views across Loch Ness but also for a fascinating 20 minutes watching 5 boats making their way through the locks of the caledonian canal. From Fort Augustus where I may just have seen nessie I continued apace to Loch Lochy. Whilst Enroute I had my wits shattered and tears brought to my eyes by the raf flying 100 feet or so above my head on their training runs. I had lunch sat by the side of Loch Lochy which was pleasant though I do believe a fine seafarer did watch me through his binoculars whilst Afloat for a while (suspicious looking characters racing snakes you know). After luncheon I plodded on and spent a good 15 minutes watching a buzzard circling its nest calling its young just before I got to spean bridge where iI called to see the commando memorial before I headed off via Fort Bill to Glencoe. I am currently blogging from a b & b as the thought of a 3 mile round hike from and back to the youth hostel to get food just wasn't a pallatable thought after a hard days ride. Stats: distance 70.91 miles time 7.30.58 av speed 9.4mph max speed 26.0mph total distance 210.5 miles total time 23.46.00 all in all a day of positives! Tomorrow the first mammoth test Glencoe!

No comments: