July 20, 2007

Hills and a glimpse of the sea

First things first happy 1st birthday Archie Sam daddy cant wait to see you on Sunday to have party tea! Anyway to the days events which saw me leaving Tiverton under cloudy skies and despite a fairly level start climbing rapidly, well the hill did I made rather slow laboured progress as befits a person close to the end of Jogle. It was a succession of steady climbs all the way to Okehampton where I decided enough was enough and dismounting in disgust went for an early lunch. The day was clearing slowly and a watery sun gradually made its mark. I did watch the rain fall on Dartmoor from a distance. After lunch I carried on again up a continuing succession of hills to Launceston where I finally crossed the border into Cornwall a mere 13 days after leaving John O Groats. Close to the end of a physically tiring day I was briefly refreshed by a glimpse in the distance of the sun shimmering off the sea. I also rode on a road through an old World War II airfield which was a little surreal. I struggled due to trying to be clever to find my B&B so my stats today are officially poor. My last full day of the Jogle begins tomorrow which is quite a strange feeling now that it has finally arrived. To end stats 73.35 miles, 8:30:43 hrs, 8.6mph, 31.0mph, 928miles, 100:27:56 total time.


ps it now looks like the way I have done it will exceed 1000miles so you good people who have sponsored me by the mile had better be getting the old copper jar out for the odd pence you will owe!
ld

No comments: