July 14, 2007

Border crossing and guests.



Today has been a good day, not only have I crossed the border leaving Scotland behind something I did early this morning by 9.30, I had the pleasure of guests along the way. This gave me a bit of a boost as with the wind behind me I had flown the first nine miles. From then on I travelled fairly rapidly to Carlisle and then onwards south. Post lunch I gradually ground my way slowly to reach Ullswater from where I headed through Patterdale onwards to the Kirkstone pass. Now if that isn't on the list of hills to climb before you die, add it now it's not particularly long but it is deadly being between 1 in 7 and 1 in 5 for the majority of its length. I had arranged to meet my guests at the Kirkstone inn but due to a mix up in communication and some rather pressing engagements with shopping establishments the racing Danny and Jonny show actually met at Windermere youth hostel. Once I had quickly spruced up we retraced my wheels to said inn and over a couple of beers (coke for me) and a plate of food spent a pleasant couple of hours at peace with the world. It was great that these guys made the time to give me a boost in this way and I am honoured they are my friends even if Jonny needs his tom tom to direct him anywhere! Only jealous of his new toy. Anyway about halfway now next major target is chester the day after tomorrow. Stats : distance 64.37 miles time 7.03.39 av speed 9.1mph max speed 29.0mph total distance 474.5miles total time 51:37:27

No comments: