July 09, 2007

When in rome




I awoke to a beautiful clear sun blessed sky and although clouds have gathered the sun has stayed with me all day to the extent of having to apply sun cream liberally every 500 yards. I now have semi tanned fingers Top half only! The day started after a fullsome full breakfast and I made good progress averaging around 10mph for the first 30 odd miles. Enroute I passed a number of distilleries and though it was rude not to partake had to settle for the attached picture for fear of the local constabulary putting paid to the jogle before it had barely begun. Having travelled by the seashore with the pleasant aroma of sea salt filling my nostrils, I made it to lunch at Alness which was a pretty busy little town. Whilst busy minding my own business I was greeted like a returning hero by a gentleman who informed me that good news was abroad because Jesus loved me before going on to tell me that if I was killed this afternoon on the roads I wouldn't be able to go To heaven as Jesus probably wouldn't let me in! Having survived that bombshell I gingerly beat a retreat and headed off. The rest of the day was generally uphill with little other than more scenic views to report. It was a tad hair raising on my last stretch of the A9 all uphill with too many big lorries for comfort. Eventually I reached Beauly and with a sigh knew that a mere 12 more miles and my work was done. Nobody told me it was 99.9% ascent! Lesson learnt, don't relax until you get to destination. Anyway just had a healthy curry for tea including haggis pakora! When in rome as they say. Stats for the day: distance 67.87 miles time 7.21.09 av speed 9.2mph max speed 30.5 mph total distance 139.6 miles total time 16.15.02 Tomorrow sees me follow nessie towards fort bill and the foot of Glencoe till then..

1 comment:

Nicola said...

Oh my God Richard, I can't believe you've got all you need in that saddle bag - where have you put the kitchen sink or don't you need one? Nx