July 17, 2007

Better days


And so my friends you find me this evening sat in a fantastic farmhouse ploughing my way through steak and mushroom pie multiple veg and rhubarb crumble and custard. Following on from my lunch as shown I think no one should have any concerns over my eating enough! Today I set off under cloudless skies but soon ran into a couple of nasty short sharp showers and took the chickens way out and waited till they had abated before moving on. My first major calling point was Shrewsbury, which is a very picturesque old tudor type of town and looked to have plenty to see for a more detailed visit sometime. Here I saw the only other cyclist I saw all day (exiting a bike shop). I then wended my merry way through numerous back roads in rainy climes. Along the back roads one particular one had a number of fords across bulging streams, the sight of me feet off pedals wearing carrier bag overshoes and hanging on grimly must have been at least a little comedic!I ploughed on stopping for lunch at Church Stretton and then made my way to Ludlow. At Ludlow I witnessed the extraordinary arrangement which is the race course and golf course combined with a B road running through the middle. Who gets priority and when was beyond me. From Ludlow I made my way to Tenbury Wells where my road to Bromyard was blocked due to the river having burst its banks and flooded half the town. The diversion took in a couple of big hills just for good measure but even that can't put off a good day. Forgot to mention chased a hare down one of the lanes but obviously racing snakes aren't as fast as tortoises as it got away. Stats 73.36 miles 7.55.47 hrs 9.2mph 27.0mph 706.2miles 76:42:28 hrs

No comments: