July 11, 2007

End to enders



For a change lets do the stats first. So todays distance 53.87 miles time 5.20. 17 av speed 10.0mph max speed 29.0mph total distance 264.4miles total time 29:06:17 so after a sumptious full breakfast I set off from Glencoe under a cloud filled sky and climbed steadily upwards towards the summit . It took me about 1 hour and ten minutes in nothing less than eighth gear which surprised me a little as I thought I would be in a very small gear. Having clambered my way to the top and paused briefly to mop the rivers of sweat from my cleavage and check all bodily parts were still with me, I happened upon a chap going the other way who had left Lands End 7 days ago, he asked how far to go and when I told him 220miles a broad grin broke across his face, he seemed to think he was nearly there! He offered to tell me how far it was the other way but I politely declined his kind offer. A mile and a half down the road I passed his mate gamely still plodding on up the hill There is a lot to be said for lone riding when your mate abandons you like that. Anyway I continued merrily on my way and began to see a plethora of end to enders and other assorted tourers. The route although undoubtedly scenic had little to offer in the form of entertainment so left to my own devices I amused myself with assorted melodies from paint your wagon, oliver and my fair lady in my usual harmonious way! At around the 26 mile mark I reached Bridge of Orchy and had originally planned to have lunch here but decided to continue to the next village. A wise choice with hindsight as I killed the last hill of the day and all before lunch. From here on in it was level or downhill all the way passing alongside a sunkissed Loch Lomond all the way toTarbet. I missed my accommodation initially as multimap is about a quarter of a mile out! So that is the highlands done, tomorrow sees me across the Erskine Bridge on my way to Stair, so far my legs are ok just a little saddle sore. Ttfn

No comments: