April 20, 2007

True Grit and the Alamo



Greetings, on this fine and wondrous eve, you find me this evening a tad weary, to the extent that I was falling asleep in the bath (that's all my bathing done for this year, except perhaps on my birthing day).


You will see from the appended photo that I have been absent from my working duties today and instead have been pedalling for Britain.


I have undertaken my first "completed" ride fully laden on full daily course distance for the jogle, a small 65 miles covered in true John Wayne style in a little under 7 hrs.


I have learnt two important lessons along the way, as I have traversed the West Yorkshire Cycle way:

1. Follow the map and not any signposts for said Cycle way

2. If it looks wrong it probably is, therefore hastily retrace ones wheels to a known point, before its a long way back.


You may have gathered I have had one or two trials and tribulations. Getting lost twice in the same way did annoy me a little, but like most blokes, I'm a little slow in learning from my mistakes, and need to do something wrong at least twice before I realise there has to be a better way.


Anyway a hugely positive result both with time and distance as it proves I should be able to do the daily ride. Whether I can walk tomorrow without my six guns is another matter entirely.


Didn't see too many things of note on the ride, though did see two very small ducklings, and crossed a bridge with a plaque upon it remarking that the area of Wentbridge where I had luncheon, is mentioned in an early version of the Robin Hood Legend.


I also saw Bluebells for the first time this year in abundance, not quite fully open but on their way, so for Caroline, I have attached this

No comments: