April 29, 2007

Cuckoo!




And no, the title of today's blog, is not a reflection of my level of sanity, or (although quite possible) most peoples reaction to the Jogle or indeed a description of a Swiss clock.

It is the sound which greeted my ears as I rode at a leisurely pace upon this mornings ride, passing through High Hoyland and with the view as shown. I hadn't heard a Cuckoo for years probably since I lived in Holmfirth, so it was a really cheery sound.

I have this week purchased my rail tickets to get me to within 20 miles of the start. I leave Huddersfield at 10.22pm on the 6th of July and arrive in Thurso at 2.27pm on the 7th which should leave me a couple of hours to get to John O'Groats and my bed for the night, before Le Grand depart on the 8th.

Now that my friends may well, be a bit Cuckoo. The daft thing is I have 4 tickets for me and 8 for my bike, God help me if I lose any of them.

I have discovered that I am continuing to lose weight, what with all this exercise, and I actually lost 2lbs on my 65 mile ride.

Therefore if you follow the logic of that through I could lose up to 2 stone on the actual Jogle.

Hmmm, need to discover a way of "bulking up" me thinks or I'll never manage to ride on a windy day! Anyone with any sensible ideas please leave me a comment.
You will be pleased to note that the Route is almost ready for production so watch this space as they say, especially all those of you who have mentioned "Cheering me on" as I pass like a blur on my Journey South, or meeting me and buying yourselves a beer and laughing at the "teetotal" John Wayne impersonator at some point along the way.








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Richard I am not an expert on the subject, but having recently gone through the trials and tribulations of my newborn struggling to regain weight to his birth weight, I feel I can offer some guidance. Here goes, make sure you eat as many calories as you burn. Now this may seem obvious but your job should be easier than mine. I now have the assistance of bottles with pleasing little lines that tell me how much he has had, something my ample bosom is lacking!

On a more serious note, a good friend who has run a Marathon or two suggests the following:

Read Matthew Pinsent's and Steve Redgrave's autobiographies - they both had massive cooked breakfasts. (I’m sure you can squeeze that in after your dawn rides and showering before work!!!) They also had pasta and rice for lunch and dinner. Apparently they were eating over 5000 cals a day.

Make sure you go for proteins and carbs not fats and sugars - no point in building weight up with fat. Meat good, cakes bad! Although the malt loaf and hot cross buns are good carbs apparently.

Make sure you build muscle all round – i.e make sure not every training session is riding bike. Something to do with muscles for one pulling energy away from others.

Have you tried using sports drinks like lucozade sport, as they replace the calories burnt as well as rehydrating - important to build up to them slowly as they can make you sick if you just start having tons on one session. Also get some Dextro Energy tablets you can get from chemists.

Hope you come up with something utilitarian - we don't want you wasting away!
Nx

Racing Snake said...

Thanks Nicola, cooked breakfasts sound good and are a definite whilst on the ride, too much Muesli drives you mad. I am of course varying my excercise regime by chasing Oliver around the garden whilst allegedly playing Rugby and we did take the boys swimming on Sunday if that counts.

I have tried the sports drinks and to be honest didn't feel to get much benefit.
However my dear wife has started cooking me "Man " portions of tea rather than my usual feminine side portions which should also help! Seriously though that is great food for thought. Cheers Racing