March 25, 2007

Sunday riding

I've been on a bike ride today, not unusual you might say, given I am in the semi middle of training for the Jogle.
It being a Sunday I thought I ought to go to Church so I managed to take a route which led me to and beyond, Flockton, Lepton, Farnley Tyas, and the Pie Villages Churches.
I also heard the bells, and/ or saw on the horizon, Emley, Almondbury, Thurstonland and Christ Church New Mill (have to say Almondburys bells were by far the most tuneful).
Luckily for all the congregations the sweaty oik in his usual day glow attire had pressing business to attend so just kept riding by.
Although a chilly misty start I still had cause to feel good about it, sounds sanctimonious I know, but, to drag myself out of bed the day the clocks go forward has to be worth some kind of self praise.
Anyway apart from churches I definitely discovered that Spring appears to have definitely sprung, what with seeing leaves springing forth on the trees, birds of all descriptions (goldfinch, chaffinch, wrens etc) pairing up and calling their merry chat up lines (I especially liked the woodpecker braying seven bells out of a tree, to be answered shortly afterwards with a rather short message in response from the opposite side of the road (I can only presume it was OK big boy come up and see me , or bog off you lesser spotted squirt)).
Lambs gambolling and rabbits doing what rabbits do (running like hell and diving into the warren, what did you think I meant), and of course the good old Englishman out running with his white legs and arms bared to the world for the first time this year turning a lighter shade of blue due to the uncaring fickle wind.
Ah what a great way to spend a Sunday morning, its also a great excuse for eating Flapjack and not worrying about spoiling the Racing Snake physique.

No comments: