March 19, 2007

Ode to an admirer

Ahhhh! That's better, my young blog has finally succumbed to the attentions of an admirer and allowed itself to be commented upon.
My good friend Jonny M has broken its duck and with the usual level of self analysis, the blog has decided it was good, and shall remain immortalised as a random memory untouched in a mad mad world.
Thankfully he also took me out to the good old Public house to ensure my hydration levels were appropriate and adequately maintained, (Timmy Taylors Landlord one of the wonders of the world of Keighley) just had to be sampled.
Given his most "generous" suggestion of £1 a mile in sponsorship, though I haven't quite pinned him down on this one yet, I may need to revise the target for sponsorship!
Anyway he will of course be delighted to know the prize for first correspondent is not a pair of my cycling shorts (pre or post trip) though what he will think of the pink frilly knickers and bra outfit I have no idea.

Anyway enough of the frivolity, I'd just like to take a moment and remember the man who was like a brother to me and died 5 years ago, Bevan Laycock would have been 35 tomorrow and although I called him numerous names whilst out riding the hills and dales, mainly Wazzack, King wazzack or some such , as he rode off up rock strewn lanes leaving me floundering normally in a gorse bush somewhere in his wake, I miss his presence enormously and wish his parents well at this time.

One final thought, Jonny, What the hell is Cardiovascular? and What does it have to do with me riding a bike???? I'm only pedalling with my legs aren't I?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope the pink frilly bra and pants combo for first response is still on!! I am replying on JonnyM's behalf!!!!

Racing Snake said...

H'mmm what size does Sir require!!!!

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across this posting when I went looking on web for a friend called 'Bevan Laycock'. I knew whilst he worked in Ellis Brigham in Liverpool and shared a house for year. We lost touch when he moved home. It sounds like the same guy as into mountaineering, mountain biking as he had a Pace bike, worked for Ellis and was from Holme Firth. If is the same guy, can't find out what happen to him. All that it said that he went missing but no explanation why, depression or accident. I can't see it being first as he was always so up for life, busy with work or one activities?!

Racing Snake said...

In response to the post about Bevan, sadly I am afraid it is the same guy. He went missing in early January 2002 and his body was found by the police in a friends campervan near Manchester later that month. He had committed suicide.
No note or explanation has ever been found to my knowledge as to why, and it was a very deep shock to us all as as you say he was so full of life. Thankfully we all have great memories of the times we spent with him and hold those very dear.
Please let me know if you need me to tell you anything else.
Regards

Richard

Anonymous said...

Hi Richard,

Thanks for info, I had so hope it wasn't Bevan. Even it's been more than 13yrs since I saw him last I still can't compute the person I knew back then and taking his own life. From your reply neither could anyone else hence shock.
I told the lads who knew Bevan back Liverpool, shared house in Toxeth & Wavetree ,and they were equally shocked.
Once again thanks for letting me know. Such a shame to communicate over sad subject. I leave you with memory that think is typical of Bevan, in the house we shared he put up a bike handle bars that pull down when you near bottom of stairs. Everytime he went up and downstairs he did 10 pull ups.
Regards
Keith