May 28, 2007

Mad Dogs and Racing Snakes



To paraphrase a well known saying, "only mad dogs and racing snakes go out cycling in the p**ing rain!"

You may surmise correctly from this, that I spent Sunday on my bike getting more than a little damp.

My route left the Pie village and by back roads over heather moorland to the foot of Holme Moss, (one of those hills to climb before you die if your a mad keen cyclist (just another hill to go over for me then!)), then on downhill to the A628 and then on past the Longdendale Trail to Glossop.

From Glossop (where about the only place open was Woolies) and after having partaken of luncheon, I took the A57 climbing the 5 miles to the summit of my second hill to climb before you die in the day, Snake Pass, ( and yes it damn near did kill me). Then onwards downhill to Ladybower and then over the Strines Moors, returning to Penistone and home.

Surprisingly for a British Bank Holiday it persisticated at a fair rate of downfall for the whole journey, and as a result it took me a sum total of 7 and a bit hours to cover 57 miles.


This, my friends was no fair weather training exercise, in fact I can honestly say I think I will find it difficult to find a consistently hillier ride on my whole Jogle ( especially given its all downhill!), I've had a niggling backache all day today just from having been sat in the same position for mile after mile pedalling uphill. I hope by now you are feeling sorry for me, and admiring my dedication to the cause!

One thing I can say though despite my fears "John Wayne is not at home today" which is a huge positive.


I did learn one or two important facts from the ride which are going to be very useful on the Jogle. firstly my bar bag isn't waterproof in the slightest, secondly mobile phones don't like being that damp, and take approx 24 hours to dry out enough to use again (if you are lucky enough that they do, which thankfully I am) thirdly my panniers and my waterproof jacket are very nearly fully waterproof though my cycling shoes definitely aren't.


6 weeks today I will (touch wood) be sitting eating a well earned meal, at the end of my second day of the Jogle, so if you could all get your prayer mats out and ask for some good weather, a following wind and not too much pollen, and midges, alongside your prayers for those in need in the world, it would be much appreciated.


One thing I forgot to say, was I wasn't alone in my insanity, I saw a large number of drowned rat walkers, three different shooting parties (thankfully not after Racing Snakes) and a couple of other hardy souls on bikes. I am of course expecting to be struck down within the next 24 hours with full blown "Man Flu" for my pains.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck buddy, I am planning on the venture this time next year. Hope the weather is kind to you on the ride.
If you enjoyed those hills wait until you hit Cornwall!!
Regie

Racing Snake said...

Thanks Regie, I have to say I am quite looking forward to Cornwall, the sea air, the nasty little hills, and all those tourists and of course a pasty or two.
Hope your plans come to fruition next year, you'll have to let me know how you get on.